1 ½ to 2 lb boneless beef chuck pot roast
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1 medium onion, sliced
4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered (1 ¼ pounds)
¾ cup water
1 ½ teaspoons instant beef bouillon granules
¼ teaspoon celery seed
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons cold water
Apple wedges (optional)
- Trim the fat from the pot roast. In a large skillet brown roast on all sides in hot oil. Drain well.
- Place the onion, then sweet potatoes in the crockpot. Place meat atop vegetables. (Cut roast, if necessary to fit.)
- In a small bowl combine water, bouillon granules, celery seed, cinnamon, and pepper. Pour over meat and vegetables.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours
- Remove meat and vegetables from cooker and place on platter; reserve juices. Skim fat from juices. Pass juices. Or, for gravy, pour juices into a glass measuring cup. If necessary, add water to equal 2 cups of juice. In a saucepan stir cornstarch into 2 tablespoons cold water; add juices. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Serve gravy with roast and vegetables. Garnish with apple wedges if desired.
- If you prefer, skip the gravy and spoon the juices over the meat.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Fat 10 g total
Protein 30 g
Carbohydrate 30 g
Sodium 282 mg
Potassium 655 mg