Picture from https://www.foodhero.org/recipes/spring-fling-chowder
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cups fresh or frozen asparagus, chopped into small pieces (or broccoli)
1 large potato, peeled and diced
3 cups low-sodium, fat-free chicken or vegetable broth (or use water)
1 can (15 ounces) cream-style corn
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat oil in large pot. Sauté onion, asparagus, and potato over medium heat, stirring often, until soft, about 10 minutes.
2. Add chicken broth, corn, and pepper.
3. Cover and simmer until potato is tender, about 10 minutes.
4. Add frozen peas and simmer 1 more minute.
5. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot, sprinkled with cheese. Refrigerate leftovers within 2-3 hours.
Yield: 8 servings
Per serving: 1 cup
Total Carbohydrate 20g
2 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
1/4 cup nonfat cream cheese
2 teaspoons minced fresh chives
2 tablespoons minced green onions
1/4 teaspoon salt
Dash of pepper
3 hard-cooked eggs
1 egg white, lightly beaten
1/2 cup reduced-fat round buttery cracker crumbs
Vegetable cooking spray
12 fresh asparagus spears
1/2 cup nonfat sour cream
1/4 cup reduced-calorie mayonnaise
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
3 tablespoons skim milk
8 romaine lettuce leaves
Chopped fresh chives (optional)
1. Cook potato in boiling water to cover 15 minutes or until tender; drain. Transfer to a bowl; beat potato at medium speed of an electric mixer until smooth. Add cream cheese and next 4 ingredients; beat well.
2. Cut hard-cooked eggs into quarters. Shape 1/4 cup potato mixture around each egg quarter to form an egg shape. Brush each with egg white; roll in cracker crumbs. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 5 minutes or until browned.
3. Snap off tough ends of asparagus. Remove scales from stalks with a knife or vegetable peeler, if desired. Arrange asparagus in a steamer basket over boiling water. Cover; steam 7 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain.
4. Combine sour cream and next 3 ingredients; stir. To serve, arrange 3 asparagus spears and 3 baked egg quarters on each of 4 lettuce-lined serving plates. Top each serving with 3 tablespoons sour cream mixture. Garnish with chopped fresh chives, if desired.
Yield: 4 servings
Fat l0.lg (Sat 1.6g Mono 2.1g Poly 0.7g)