Picture from https://www.foodhero.org/recipes/fiesta-barley-salad
1 cup dry barley
3 cups water
1/4 cup raisins, or other dried fruit
1 cup frozen peas, or other vegetables (fresh, frozen or canned)
2 cups lettuce, washed and chopped
1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
1/2 cup green onions, sliced thin (can use any onions)
1 tablespoon vinegar (rice vinegar or any others)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. Place barley and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil, then turn to low. Cook (with lid on) for 45 minutes.
2. Rinse cooked barley brieﬂy in cold water. Drain.
3. Add remaining ingredients. Toss well.
4. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Refrigerate leftovers within 2-3 hours.
Yield: 13 servings
Per serving: 2/3 cup
Total Carbohydrate 21g
Picture from https://www.foodhero.org/recipes/barley-lentil-soup
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 cup sliced onion
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup sliced celery
1 can (15 ounces) stewed, diced tomatoes
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth, or water
3 cups water
1 cup dry lentils
2/3 cup barley
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
salt and black pepper to taste
1. Heat vegetable oil in large soup pan over medium-high heat. Cook garlic and onion until they are golden brown, about 1 or 2 minutes.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower the heat so the mixture is at a light simmer. Place a lid on the pan.
3. Cook until the barley and lentils are tender, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
4. Serve hot in a soup bowl. Refrigerate leftovers within 2-3 hours.
Yield: 10 servings
Per serving: 1 cup
Sodium: 510 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 28g
3 cups cooked pearl barley (cook in chicken broth for color and flavor)
3/4 sweet or yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 small eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil (flavored olive oil works well)
1 1/2 teaspoon Garlic & Herb Mrs. Dash (salt-free herb seasoning blend)
Black pepper (to taste)
3 ounces reduced-fat cheddar cheese (about 3/4 cup shredded or 4 thin slices)
1. Spoon cooked barley evenly into the bottom of a microwave-safe, 9-inch, deep-dish pie plate (or similar casserole dish). Spread half of the onion slices evenly over the barley. Layer the eggplant slices to cover the barley completely.
2. Drizzle eggplant and rice mixture with the olive oil, then sprinkle the Garlic & Herb blend over the top. Spread the remaining onion slices over the top of the eggplant. Cover with a microwave-safe cover and cook on HIGH about 12 minutes (the eggplant should be soft and cooked throughout).
3. Layer the sliced or shredded cheese over the top and cook on HIGH, covered or uncovered, for exactly 1 minute longer (just until cheese is nicely melted).
Yield: 3 servings
Per serving: 341 calories
Protein: 13 g
Carbohydrate: 52 g
Fat: 10 g (3.8 g Saturated Fat)
Cholesterol: 15 mg
Fiber: 10 g
Sodium: 157 mg