Olive oil-ﬂavored vegetable cooking spray
2 tablespoons ﬁne, dry breadcrumbs
2 cups peeled, diced eggplant
1 1/2 cups diced onion
1 cup diced fresh mushrooms
1 cup diced zucchini
1 cup diced sweet red pepper
2 large baking potatoes, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups 1% low-fat cottage cheese
3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Gouda cheese
1/3 cup all-purpose ﬂour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg white
1. Coat a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray; sprinkle breadcrumbs evenly over bottom of pan.
2. Combine eggplant and next 5 ingredients. Drizzle with olive oil; sprinkle with pepper and ‘A teaspoon salt. Toss.
3. Coat a 15- x 10- x l-inch jellyroll pan with cooking spray. Arrange vegetables in an even layer in pan, placing potato slices together at one end of pan. Bake at 400° for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
4. Position knife blade in food processor bowl; add cottage cheese and remaining 5 ingredients. Process until smooth.
5. Arrange roasted potato slices around bottom of prepared springform pan in overlapping rows to form a crust. Reserve any remaining potato.
6. Pour one-third of cheese mixture over potato layer. Arrange half of vegetable mixture over cheese mixture. Top with half of remaining cheese mixture. Repeat layers, using remaining vegetable and cheese mixtures. Place reserved potato slices on top of cheese mixture, arranging slices around edge of pan. Bake at 325° for 1 hour or until ﬁrm. Serve warm.
Yield: 6 servings
Fat 7.9g (Sat 2.9g Mono 2.6g Poly 0.7g)
2 tablespoons olive oil (or canola)
1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
4-6 cloves garlic, minced
2 pounds eggplant, cut to 1/2-inch cubes (about 2 large eggplants)
2 bell peppers, seeds removed and diced (about 4 cups)
1 pound tomatoes, cored and chopped (2-3 tomatoes)
1 1/2 teaspoons dried Basil
1/2 teaspoons salt
Black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Heat large pot over medium heat. Add oil, black pepper, and onion. Cook onion 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Add garlic, cook another minute, stirring constantly.
3. Add eggplant, bell pepper, and salt. Sauté 5 minutes or until eggplant starts to soften
4. Add tomatoes and dried basil. Simmer 15 minutes or more.
5. Top each serving with 1 teaspoon parmesan cheese, if desired.
Yield: 6 servings
Per serving: 1 cup
Total Carbohydrate 19g
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups eggplant, diced
1 cup green onions, sliced
1 green bell pepper, cut in strips
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
1. Heat oil in large skillet.
2. Add eggplant, onions, pepper, tomato, water, salt, allspice, and sugar. Mix well.
3. Cover and simmer until eggplant is tender, about 20 minutes. Add additional water, if needed.
4. Serve hot and enjoy. Good over rice.
Yield: 4 servings
Total Carbohydrate 7g
3 cups cooked pearl barley (cook in chicken broth for color and flavor)
3/4 sweet or yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 small eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil (flavored olive oil works well)
1 1/2 teaspoon Garlic & Herb Mrs. Dash (salt-free herb seasoning blend)
Black pepper (to taste)
3 ounces reduced-fat cheddar cheese (about 3/4 cup shredded or 4 thin slices)
1. Spoon cooked barley evenly into the bottom of a microwave-safe, 9-inch, deep-dish pie plate (or similar casserole dish). Spread half of the onion slices evenly over the barley. Layer the eggplant slices to cover the barley completely.
2. Drizzle eggplant and rice mixture with the olive oil, then sprinkle the Garlic & Herb blend over the top. Spread the remaining onion slices over the top of the eggplant. Cover with a microwave-safe cover and cook on HIGH about 12 minutes (the eggplant should be soft and cooked throughout).
3. Layer the sliced or shredded cheese over the top and cook on HIGH, covered or uncovered, for exactly 1 minute longer (just until cheese is nicely melted).
Yield: 3 servings
Per serving: 341 calories
Protein: 13 g
Carbohydrate: 52 g
Fat: 10 g (3.8 g Saturated Fat)
Cholesterol: 15 mg
Fiber: 10 g
Sodium: 157 mg
1 (1 pound) eggplant
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons canned low sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
8 ounces skinned, boned chicken breat tenders
Vegetable cooking spray
1 pound penne (short pasta), uncooked
1 cup seeded, diced tomato
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon olice oil
1 tablespoon canned low sodium chicken broth
½ teaspoon salt
6 large pitted ripe olives, chopped
- Cut eggplant lengthwise into 8 (1/4 inch thick) slices; place in an 11x7x1 ½ ubch baking dish. Combine vinegar and 2 tablespoons broth; pour over eggplant. Cover and let stand 30 minutes, turning occasionally. Remove eggplant slices from marinade, discarding any remaining marinade.
- Combine chili and garlice powder sin a large heavy-duty, zip-top plastic bag. Add chicken; seal bag and shake until chicken is well coated.
- Coat grill rack with cooking spray; place on grill over medium-hot coals (350-400 degrees). Place chicken on rack; grill, covered, 2 minutes on each side. Cut chicken and eggplant into 1-inch pieces
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain
- Combine pasta, eggplant, chicke, tomato and remaining ingredients; toss well. Makes 6 (2 cup) servings.
Amount per serving