1 ½ pounds of beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 tablespoon cooking oil
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
½ cup sliced green onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 bay leaf
1 ½ cups low sodium beef broth
1 8-ounce carton dairy sour cream
½ cup all purpose flour
¼ cup water
4 cups hot cooked noodles or rice
In a large skillet brown beef, half at a time, in hot oil. Drain off fat.
Combine beef, mushrooms, onions, garlic, oregano, salt, thyme, pepper, and bay leaf all in the slow cooker. Pour beef broth over all.
Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours. Discard bay leaf.
If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Mix together sour cream, flour, and water. Stir about 1 cup of the hot liquid into sour cream mixture. Return all to slow cooker, stir and combine. Cover and cook on high-heat setting for 30 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
Serve over hot cooked noodles or rice.
Fat 20 g total
Protein 36 g
Carbohydrate 38 g
Sodium 368 mg
Potassium 474 mg
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green pepper
1 cup sliced fresh mushroom
1 cup sliced zucchini
1 can (14.5 ounce) low sodium beef broth
1 can (16 ounce) diced tomatoes
1 can (8 ounce) pizza sauce
4 ounces sliced smoked sausage (can be replaced with any kind of meat)
1/2 teaspoon pizza or italian seasoning
1/2 cup shredded reduced fat mozzarella cheese
1. Combine onion, pepper, mushrooms, zucchini, and 1/4 cup beef broth in saucepan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Stir in remaining broth, undrained tomatoes, pizza sauce, cooked sausage (or meat of choice), and seasoning. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 5-10 minutes until veggies are tender.
3. Top with cheese.
Olive oil-ﬂavored vegetable cooking spray
2 tablespoons ﬁne, dry breadcrumbs
2 cups peeled, diced eggplant
1 1/2 cups diced onion
1 cup diced fresh mushrooms
1 cup diced zucchini
1 cup diced sweet red pepper
2 large baking potatoes, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups 1% low-fat cottage cheese
3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Gouda cheese
1/3 cup all-purpose ﬂour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg white
1. Coat a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray; sprinkle breadcrumbs evenly over bottom of pan.
2. Combine eggplant and next 5 ingredients. Drizzle with olive oil; sprinkle with pepper and ‘A teaspoon salt. Toss.
3. Coat a 15- x 10- x l-inch jellyroll pan with cooking spray. Arrange vegetables in an even layer in pan, placing potato slices together at one end of pan. Bake at 400° for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
4. Position knife blade in food processor bowl; add cottage cheese and remaining 5 ingredients. Process until smooth.
5. Arrange roasted potato slices around bottom of prepared springform pan in overlapping rows to form a crust. Reserve any remaining potato.
6. Pour one-third of cheese mixture over potato layer. Arrange half of vegetable mixture over cheese mixture. Top with half of remaining cheese mixture. Repeat layers, using remaining vegetable and cheese mixtures. Place reserved potato slices on top of cheese mixture, arranging slices around edge of pan. Bake at 325° for 1 hour or until ﬁrm. Serve warm.
Yield: 6 servings
Fat 7.9g (Sat 2.9g Mono 2.6g Poly 0.7g)
2 cups uncooked medium egg noodles
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped shallots
1 (8-ounce) package pre-sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup fat-free milk
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1/3 cup (3 ounces) spreadable cheese with garlic and herbs (such as Alouette)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and oil. While pasta cooks, heat a large non-stick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat.
2. Add chicken; sauté 4 minutes or until done. Remove chicken from pan; set aside.
3. Heat oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add shallots: sauté 1 minute. Add mushrooms; sauté 4 minutes. Add wine, and cook for 3 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates.
4. Combine milk and flour in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk, Add milk mixture to pan: cook 3 minutes or until slightly thick. Add chicken, cheese, 2 tablespoons parsley, and pepper: reduce heat, and simmer for 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve over pasta; sprinkle with parsley, if desired.
Yield 4 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup chicken mixture and 3/4 cup pasta)
Per Servings: 3/4 cup chicken mixture and 3/4 cup pasta
Fat 6.9 g (2.5 g)
Cholesterol 101 mg
Protein 37.1 g
Carbohydrate 31.3 grams
Fiber 2.9 g
Sodium 241 mg
1 whole chicken
2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup brown rice, uncooked
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
2. Defrost chicken in refrigerator prior to cooking. Remove skin from chicken.
3. In an ungreased 9-inch square baking dish, combine broth, rice, mushrooms, celery, onion, and tomatoes.
4. Place chicken on rice mixture and brush with the canola oil. Sprinkle chicken with pepper
5. Cover and bake at 350 F for 1 1/2 hours.
6. Uncover and bake 25-35 minutes longer or until the juices run clear. Before removing chicken from oven, use a thermometer to measure the internal temperature of the chicken, making sure it is at least 165 F.
Yield: 4 servings
Per serving: 2 cups
Sodium 230 mg
Total Carbohydrate 46g
Vegetable cooking spray
1 ¼ pounds skinned, boned chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
¾ cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup cooked long grain rice
½ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon salt
2 (4 ounce) cans sliced mushrooms, drained
1 (16 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
1 (14 ¼ ounce) can no salt added chicken broth
1 (12 ounce) can evaporated skimmed milk
1 (10 ¾ ounce) can reduced fat, reduced sodium, cream of chicken soup, undiluted
Coat a Dutch oven with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat until hot. Add chicken, onion, and garlic, and saute until onion is tender. Add rice and remaining ingredients, stirring well. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Makes 6 (1 ½ cup) servings
Amount per serving