Shape this meat loaf the night before and refrigerate- then pop it in the cooker the next morning.
1 8-ounce can pizza sauce
1 beaten egg
½ cup chopped onion
½ cup chopped green sweet pepper
⅓ cup fine dry seasoned bread crumbs
½ teaspoon garlic salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 ½ pounds lean ground beef
½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese (2 ounces)
Reserve ⅓ cup pizza sauce; cover and chill. In a medium mixing bowl combine remaining pizza sauce and egg. Stir in onion, green sweet pepper, bread crumbs, garlic salt and pepper. Add ground beef and mix well.
On a sheet of foil, shape a 6-inch round meat loaf. Lift and transfer meat and foil to the slow cooker. Press meat away from sides of the cooker to avoid burning.
Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 9 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 ½ to 4 ½ hours (or to 170 degrees internal temperature).
Spread meat with the reserved ⅓ cup pizza sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Cover cooker and let stand 5 to 10 minutes.
Carefully lift meat loaf with foil and transfer to a serving plate; discard the foil.
Fat 20 g total
Protein 20 g
Carbohydrate 8 g
Sodium 510 mg
Potassium 360 mg
2 baking potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into chunks (3 1/3 cups)
1 (10-ounce) package frozen whole-kernel corn
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks (1 cup)
1 onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 can of low sodium tomatoes
1 diced jalapeno
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast
4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 10.5 ounces)
2 1/2 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
4 (6-inch) fresh corn tortillas, cut into strips
Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Place first 6 ingredients in an electric slow cooker. Stir in tomatoes and next 4 ingredients (through pepper). Place chicken on top of vegetables, and add broth. Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours.
Remove chicken from slow cooker; shred with 2 forks. Return chicken to slow cooker. Stir tortilla strips into stew. Garnish with parsley, if desired. Flavor with 1 tsp of Cholula hot sauce per serving.
Fat 6 g
Protein 32 g
Carbohydrate 47 g
Sodium 476 mg
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green pepper
1 cup sliced fresh mushroom
1 cup sliced zucchini
1 can (14.5 ounce) low sodium beef broth
1 can (16 ounce) diced tomatoes
1 can (8 ounce) pizza sauce
4 ounces sliced smoked sausage (can be replaced with any kind of meat)
1/2 teaspoon pizza or italian seasoning
1/2 cup shredded reduced fat mozzarella cheese
1. Combine onion, pepper, mushrooms, zucchini, and 1/4 cup beef broth in saucepan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Stir in remaining broth, undrained tomatoes, pizza sauce, cooked sausage (or meat of choice), and seasoning. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 5-10 minutes until veggies are tender.
3. Top with cheese.
1 package (8.5 ounce) corn muffin mix
1 can (14.75 ounce) cream-style corn
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup (1 medium) chopped red pepper
4 ounce can diced green chile pepper
1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend (2 ounces)
1.Lightly coat the inside of a 3 1/2 or 4 quart slow cooker with cooking spray, or insert crock pot liner; set aside.
2.In a large bowl, stir together eggs, corn muffin mix, cream-style corn, milk, sweet pepper, and chile peppers. Spoon egg mixture into the prepared slow cooker.
3. Cover and cook on low-heat setting about 4 hours. Sprinkle top of spoon bread with cheese. Let stand, covered, for 30-45 minutes before serving.
Amount per serving: 1/2 cup
Sodium: 437 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 27g
1 pound ground beef
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce, divided
1/4 cup water
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup uncooked instant rice
4 medium green peppers
1. Crumble beef into a 1-1/2-qt. microwave-safe bowl; add the onion. Cover and microwave on high for 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 minutes or until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in 1-1/2 cups tomato sauce, water, 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. 2. Cover and microwave on high for 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 minutes. Stir in rice; cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
3. Remove tops and seeds from peppers; cut in half lengthwise. Stuff with meat mixture; place in an ungreased microwave-safe shallow 3-qt. or 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish. 4. Spoon remaining tomato sauce over peppers; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and microwave on high for 10-12 minutes or until peppers are tender. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Picture from https://www.foodhero.org/recipes/skillet-cabbage
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 cup celery, washed and sliced
1 cup chopped onion
3 cups shredded or chopped cabbage
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 medium tomato, chopped
1. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet).
2. Add celery and onion. Cook 4-7 minutes until soft.
3. Add cabbage, green pepper, salt and pepper. Cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring often so the cabbage sweats.
4. Add tomato and serve immediately. Refrigerate leftovers within 2-3 hours.
Yield: 7 servings
Per serving: 2/3 cup
Total Carbohydrate 5g
Picture from https://www.foodhero.org/recipes/butternut-squash-and-chile-pan-fry
1 medium butternut squash, about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds
1 pound fresh green poblano chilies (about 4 whole peppers), or 1 cup canned poblanos chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 cup grated cheese (try Monterey jack)
1. Peel squash, cut in half, and remove seeds. Cut the squash into 1/2 inch pieces.
2. Prepare fresh chilies by roasting the peppers either by placing them over a stovetop gas ﬂame or by roasting under an oven broiler, turning them frequently until all sides are charred black, about 7-10 minutes. Remove the stems and seeds and chop.
3. Heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring for about 3 minutes. Add the squash, salt, and chili powder. Cover and cook, stir occasionally, about 10-12 minutes. Stir in chopped chilies and cook about 3 minutes.
4. Sprinkle with cheese and cover until cheese melts, about 2 minutes.
5. Serve hot. Refrigerate leftovers within 2-3 hours.
Yield: 10 servings
Per serving: 2/3 cup
Total Carbohydrate 11g
Picture from https://www.foodhero.org/recipes/brazilian-black-beans-and-sausage
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
8 ounces low-fat polish kielbasa sausage, cut into small pieces
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced, or 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 cup uncooked rice
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups water
1. Heat oil over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet); sauté sausage and onion until onion is clear.
2. Add remaining ingredients.
3. Bring to boil over high heat, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
5. (optional) Add mushrooms or green bell peppers for variety. If you like spicy food, add some cayenne pepper or chili powder. Use brown rice to add fiber; increase the simmering time to 40 minutes.
Yield: 8 servings
Amount per serving: 1 cup
Total Carbohydrate 28g
Olive oil-ﬂavored vegetable cooking spray
2 tablespoons ﬁne, dry breadcrumbs
2 cups peeled, diced eggplant
1 1/2 cups diced onion
1 cup diced fresh mushrooms
1 cup diced zucchini
1 cup diced sweet red pepper
2 large baking potatoes, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups 1% low-fat cottage cheese
3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Gouda cheese
1/3 cup all-purpose ﬂour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg white
1. Coat a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray; sprinkle breadcrumbs evenly over bottom of pan.
2. Combine eggplant and next 5 ingredients. Drizzle with olive oil; sprinkle with pepper and ‘A teaspoon salt. Toss.
3. Coat a 15- x 10- x l-inch jellyroll pan with cooking spray. Arrange vegetables in an even layer in pan, placing potato slices together at one end of pan. Bake at 400° for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
4. Position knife blade in food processor bowl; add cottage cheese and remaining 5 ingredients. Process until smooth.
5. Arrange roasted potato slices around bottom of prepared springform pan in overlapping rows to form a crust. Reserve any remaining potato.
6. Pour one-third of cheese mixture over potato layer. Arrange half of vegetable mixture over cheese mixture. Top with half of remaining cheese mixture. Repeat layers, using remaining vegetable and cheese mixtures. Place reserved potato slices on top of cheese mixture, arranging slices around edge of pan. Bake at 325° for 1 hour or until ﬁrm. Serve warm.
Yield: 6 servings
Fat 7.9g (Sat 2.9g Mono 2.6g Poly 0.7g)