Trim the visible fat from a 3-pound, boneless pork shoulder or butt.
Cut into bite-size cubes, removing and discarding additional fat as you go.
Rinse the pork pieces in cold water and place them into the slow cooker liner; turn the slow cooker to high to begin cooking the pork as you prepare the remaining ingredients.
In a sauce pan, combine:
1 1/2 cups of commercial tomatillo salsa (also called salsa verde or green salsa)
1 3/4 cups of reduced sodium chicken broth
1 thinly-sliced onion
1 teaspoon of cumin seeds or ground cumin
Bring this mixture to a boil over high heat, and then pour it over the pork in the slow cooker. Slice three plum tomatoes and gently stir them into the pork. Cover and cook on high for six to seven hours.
When the pork is tender enough to pull apart, spoon it into a large bowl with a slotted spoon. Cover it and keep it warm. Transfer the sauce and vegetables to a large skillet. Skim off and discard the fat, and then bring the sauce to a boil over high heat, removing any froth from time to time. Boil gently for about 20 minutes to thicken and intensify flavors.
Stir the cooked pork and a quarter cup of chopped cilantro into the sauce in the skillet. Heat through before serving, and then you’re ready to enjoy!
Fat 15 g total
Cholesterol 104 mg
Protein 27 g
Carbohydrate 6 g
Sodium 211 mg
Potassium 413 mg
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green pepper
1 cup sliced fresh mushroom
1 cup sliced zucchini
1 can (14.5 ounce) low sodium beef broth
1 can (16 ounce) diced tomatoes
1 can (8 ounce) pizza sauce
4 ounces sliced smoked sausage (can be replaced with any kind of meat)
1/2 teaspoon pizza or italian seasoning
1/2 cup shredded reduced fat mozzarella cheese
1. Combine onion, pepper, mushrooms, zucchini, and 1/4 cup beef broth in saucepan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Stir in remaining broth, undrained tomatoes, pizza sauce, cooked sausage (or meat of choice), and seasoning. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 5-10 minutes until veggies are tender.
3. Top with cheese.
Picture from https://www.foodhero.org/recipes/brazilian-black-beans-and-sausage
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
8 ounces low-fat polish kielbasa sausage, cut into small pieces
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced, or 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 cup uncooked rice
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups water
1. Heat oil over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet); sauté sausage and onion until onion is clear.
2. Add remaining ingredients.
3. Bring to boil over high heat, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
5. (optional) Add mushrooms or green bell peppers for variety. If you like spicy food, add some cayenne pepper or chili powder. Use brown rice to add fiber; increase the simmering time to 40 minutes.
Yield: 8 servings
Amount per serving: 1 cup
Total Carbohydrate 28g