Dice hard vegetables (potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, winter squash and/or rutabagas), and place them in the bottom of the slow cooker insert.
Cut any meat you’re adding into bite-sized bits and add it on top of the vegetables. Stick with fresh meats; processed meats like ham, corned beef and sausage can contain upwards of 1,000 milligrams of sodium per serving.
Season with fresh or dried herbs.
Add tender vegetables like corn, peas and okra.
Cover with sodium-free bouillon dissolved in water. For creamy soups or chowders, stir in a half cup of heavy whipping cream (liquid, not whipped), or 1 cup of half-and-half or evaporated milk.
Cook on high for 6 to 8 hours (or on low for 10 to 12 hours).
Total Fat 1g
Saturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 15g
Dietary Fiber 3g
Vitamin A 44%
Vitamin C 2%
Picture from https://www.foodhero.org/recipes/butternut-squash-and-chile-pan-fry
1 medium butternut squash, about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds
1 pound fresh green poblano chilies (about 4 whole peppers), or 1 cup canned poblanos chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 cup grated cheese (try Monterey jack)
1. Peel squash, cut in half, and remove seeds. Cut the squash into 1/2 inch pieces.
2. Prepare fresh chilies by roasting the peppers either by placing them over a stovetop gas ﬂame or by roasting under an oven broiler, turning them frequently until all sides are charred black, about 7-10 minutes. Remove the stems and seeds and chop.
3. Heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring for about 3 minutes. Add the squash, salt, and chili powder. Cover and cook, stir occasionally, about 10-12 minutes. Stir in chopped chilies and cook about 3 minutes.
4. Sprinkle with cheese and cover until cheese melts, about 2 minutes.
5. Serve hot. Refrigerate leftovers within 2-3 hours.
Yield: 10 servings
Per serving: 2/3 cup
Total Carbohydrate 11g
1. Wash squash; cut in half lengthwise. Remove and discard seeds. Place squash halves, cut sides down, in a 13- x 9- x 2-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Add water to dish to depth of 1/2 inch. Bake at 375° for 40 minutes or until squash is tender; let cool slightly. Using a fork, remove spaghetti-like strands; discard shells. Set strands aside, and keep warm.
2. Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion and garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Add zucchini, and sauté 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; sauté 2 additional minutes. Remove vegetables from skillet, and set aside.
3. Coat skillet with cooking spray; add turkey. Cook over medium-high heat until turkey is browned, stirring until it crumbles. Add vegetable mixture, ham, and next 5 ingredients. Cook over medium heat until thoroughly heated. To serve, spoon turkey mixture over spaghetti squash; sprinkle with cheese.
Yield: 4 servings.
Fat 5.9g (Sat 2.2g Mono l.4g Poly 1.3g)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1 pound zucchini
1 pound summer squash
1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
8 mint leaves
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Cut zucchini and squash into short, thick strips.
2. Heat large skillet over medium heat. Add oil, garlic and onions, sautéing until garlic is golden.
3. Add squash and sauté over high heat, until crisp-tender.
4. Add tomatoes and mint. Cook until warmed.
5. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
Yield: 6 servings
Total Carbohydrate 7g
8 ounces dry pasta (about 3 cups), uncooked
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 ounces boneless, skinless chicken, cut into strips
Non -stick cooking spray
1 small zucchini, chopped
1 small yellow squash, chopped
1/2 cup red onion, chopped
2 cups spaghetti sauce, heated
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1. Cook pasta in large saucepan, according to package directions.
2. Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat and add chicken breast.
3. Cook chicken 10 – 15 minutes, until juices run clear. Remove and keep warm.
4. Spray large non-stick skillet with cooking spray. Add zucchini, squash and onion and cook over medium-high heat for 4 minutes.
5. Drain pasta; return to saucepan. Add vegetable mixture and toss.
6. Divide pasta on plates and top with spaghetti sauce, chicken and cheese.
Yield: 4 servings
Total Carbohydrate 36g