What you need:
- Small corn tortillas
- Shredded cheddar cheese
Mound a little salsa and cheese on each tortilla. Cook on foil-lined tray in toaster oven until cheese has melted and is brown at the edges.
Kids can help: Assemble the “pizzas,” cover the tray with foil
Extras: A layer of refried beans under the salsa, cilantro for garnish, a dollop of sour cream or a sprinkle of finely chopped green pepper
Total Fat 5.5g
Saturated Fat 3.1g
Total Carbohydrate 16.8g
Dietary Fiber 2.8g
Vitamin A 21%
Vitamin C 60%
2 baking potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into chunks (3 1/3 cups)
1 (10-ounce) package frozen whole-kernel corn
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks (1 cup)
1 onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 can of low sodium tomatoes
1 diced jalapeno
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast
4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 10.5 ounces)
2 1/2 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
4 (6-inch) fresh corn tortillas, cut into strips
Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Place first 6 ingredients in an electric slow cooker. Stir in tomatoes and next 4 ingredients (through pepper). Place chicken on top of vegetables, and add broth. Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker; shred with 2 forks. Return chicken to slow cooker. Stir tortilla strips into stew. Garnish with parsley, if desired. Flavor with 1 tsp of Cholula hot sauce per serving.
Fat 6 g
Protein 32 g
Carbohydrate 47 g
Sodium 476 mg
3 15-ounce cans great northern, pinto, or cannellini beans, drained
2 ½ cups chopped cooked chicken
1 cup chopped onion
1 ½ cups chopped red, green, and/or yellow sweet pepper
2 jalapeno chili peppers, stemmed and chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons ground cumin
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
3 ½ cups chicken broth
Shredded Monterey Jack cheese (optional)
Broken tortilla chips (optional)
- In a 3 1/2 , 4-, or 5-quart crockery cooker combine the drained beans, chicken, onion, sweet pepper, jalapeno peppers, garlic, cumin, salt, and oregano. Stir in chicken broth.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 8-10 hours or high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Top each serving with some cheese and tortilla chips, if desired. Makes 8 servings.
Total Fat 5g
Saturated Fat 1g
Total Carbohydrate 38g
8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
1 1/2 cups frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed
1 cup diced zucchini
1 cup shredded carrot
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground oregano
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup water
1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added kidney beans
4 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
1 cup chopped tomato
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup nonfat sour cream
1/2 cup no-salt-added salsa
1. Cut 8 (12- x 10-inch) pieces of aluminum foil; fold each piece in half lengthwise. Open foil slightly, and twist ends to form boats.
2. Place foil boats on a large baking sheet, ﬂattening bottoms. Place corn tortillas inside boats, pressing gently to form shells.
3. Bake at 350° for 15 to 20 minutes or until crisp. Set aside.
4. Combine corn and next 10 ingredients in a large nonstick skillet; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
5. Place 1/2 cup lettuce in each taco shell. Spoon 1/2 cup com mixture into each. Top each with 2 tablespoons tomato, 2 tablespoons cheese, 1 tablespoon sour cream, and 1 tablespoon salsa.
Yield: 4 servings
Per Serving: 2 tacos
Fat 7.9g (Sat 3.5g Mono 0.5g Poly 1.3g)
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1 [15 oz.) can pinto beans
1 (10 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 (15 oz.) can collard greens
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
8 corn tortillas (cut in half for layering)
2 cups low-fat shredded cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425 F
2. Cook onions in a skillet with one tablespoon oil over medium-high heat until soft. Add beans, tomatoes, collard greens, black pepper, chili powder and cayenne pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes.
3. Coat a shallow baking dish with remaining tablespoon oil. Start with a layer of bean mixture, then add a layer of tortilla, and top with a layer of cheese. Repeat: beans, tortilla cheese. Bake lasagna 12-15 minutes until cheese is brown & bubbly.
Yield: 6 servings
Per serving: 1 cup
Total Carbohydrate 45g
6 (10-inch) flour tortillas
1 cup water
3 ancho chiles, seeded
1 pound lean boneless top sirloin steak, trimmed and cut into ½-inch pieces
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Vegetable cooking spray
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no salt added beef broth, divided
1 ½ cups chopped onion
1 tablespoon paprika
¾ ground oregano
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup canned no salt added whole kernel corn, drained
Fresh oregano sprigs (optional)
Line a medium glass bowl with 1 tortilla. Prick bottom of tortilla with a fork. Microwave at HIGH for 1 ½ minutes or until crisp. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Bring water to boil in a saucepan. Add chiles; cover remove from heat, and let stand 30 minutes. Place chile mixture in container of an electric blender, cover and process until smooth. Set aside.
- Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper. Place flour in a zip-top plastic bag; add meat. Seal bag shake to coat.
- Coat a Dutch oven with cooking spray; add oil. Place over medium-high heat until hot. Add meat; cook until browned. Remove meat from oven, set aside. Add ½ cup broth to oven; cook over high heat, deglazing oven by scraping particles that are stuck on bottom. Add chile mixture, meat, remaining broth, onion, and next 3 ingredients. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until meat is tender. Add corn; simmer 3 minutes. To serve, spoon chili into tortilla bowls. Garnish with fresh oregano, if desired. Makes 5 (1 ¼ cup serving)
Amount per serving
½ cup no salt added salsa, divided
¼ cup fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 gloves garlic, minced
1 (1 pound) lean flank steak
1 large sweet red pepper, seeded and cut lengthwise into quarters
Vegetable cooking spray
4 (1/4 inch thick) slices purple onion
8 (8 ½ inch) fat-free flour tortillas
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
½ cup nonfat sour cream
- Combine 1 cup salsa and next 3 ingredients in a heavy-duty, zip-top plastic bag. Trim fat from steak. Add steak and peppers to bag. Seal bag, and shake until steak and peppers are well coated. Marinate in refrigerator at least 8 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- Remove steak and peppers from marinade, reserving marinade. Place marinade in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Remove from heat and set aside
- Coat grill rack with cooking spray; place on grill over medium-hot coals (350 to 400 degrees). Place steak, peppers, and onion on rack; brush with reserved marinade. Grill, covered, 7 minutes on each side or to desired degree of doneness.
- Wrap tortillas in heavy-duty aluminum foil. Place on grill rack; grill 5 minutes or until heated.
- Slice steak diagonally across grain into thin slices. Slice peppers into thin strips, and separate onion into rings. Arrange steak and vegetables evenly down the centers of tortillas; sprinkle with chopped cilantro. Roll of tortillas. Top each with 1 tablespoon salsa and 1 tablespoon sour cream. Makes 8 servings
Amount per serving